Photosynthesis interactive: floating leaves
The purpose of this experiment was to see a real time reaction of how photosynthesis works. We would then see how it would then react to the change of environment. The data that I collected was rather consistent because for 15 out of the sixteen minutes nothing happened and only in the last minute only one leaf disk rose. In my experiment I used white light and the container was 5 inches away and looking back on it I should've left it in a place where it had a larger array of light waves because certain plants take certain light waves where the white light couldn't supply.
Mini experiment Monocots vs Dicots
The plants that I grew basically died because of the tea which was unexpected. I had expected it to grow quicker because the tea bag was supposed to release nutrients. However I the tea bag had a citric acid component which when the seed absorbed it they died. This would also explain why the other seeds did better which is because the citric acid component got diluted.
We did this to prove our predictions on what was a dicot or monocot in between corn and mung beans (mung beans sown on the slide show to the left). This will help us learn if we were right in our previous investigations and if no what we should've looked for.
But there is also an experimentation aspect of this too with the variables of amount of water, light, and quality of water. In my experiment I had 25 ml of water with 50-60% light accessibility and the water was contaminated with a tea bag. I was trying to see if the beans would take in any nutrients from the tea.
At the end one of the beans I was growing had produced one cotyledon making it a monocot where a dicot would have two cotyledon's. This would prove my prediction correct because I predicted that the bean was a monocot and the corn was a dicot. The first few days I think that the bean didn't grow because the tea content was simply way to strong for the plant to live in.
I think because of the strong tea content that it damaged the bean beyond repair where it only had the energy to shed the exterior coat. However when the strength of the tea lessened after I put the other bean in the cup they were able to grow a little bit more because they got to the state where the cotyledon was growing.
When I finally got something to grow I noticed that the bean had only one initial growth. This goes well with my predicted because that would make the bean a Monocot. I predicted that the bean was a monocot because when I cut in half I noticed only one spot where it could be then I did the same with the corn and it has two possible places for the cotyledon.